Thursday, February 3, 2011

Veggie and Dal Soup-back in the Brat!

So, I have been away from my home base of Brattleboro,VT for nearly a month and a half with the exception of 5 days in between Portland and NYC (blog to come; see previous post for Portland). During those 5 days I was in class, and avoiding snow. Groceries were out of the question due to snow but also because I was getting ready to leave... again. Today I am back, though! I will be around for less than 2 weeks but who's counting? I decided I should probably not spend much money this month and it'd be a bonus to lose some weight that I've most likely gained from all of this running around (or lack there-of, rather). After being inspired by a photo post by SusanV (of FatFree Vegan-for some reason it won't let me link her here) on facebook I made a soup with an inexpensive list of ingredients all from my pantry and from a trip to the co-op that I was able to visit today because the roads were clear and the sun was out. WOOOHOOO!!! The recipe is not on SusanV's blog and to be honest I pretty much changed a lot so I'm just gonna go ahead and write it out how I did it. BTW-red lentils cook SO fast so do not be discouraged to use them in this or any recipe.

Veggie and Dal Soup
1 small onion, diced
1 tsp fennel seeds(see below)
1.5 tsp ground cumin (Susan used 2 tsp. panch phoran for this and the fennel- I couldn't find it)
2 teaspoons grated ginger
6 cups hot water (I'm estimating. Original recipe called for 4 and I decided it wasn't enough and didn't measure what I threw in on a whim)
3 vegetable bouillon cubes
1 package frozen vegetables-carrot, cauliflower, broccoli blend (I used Cascade Organics)
1.5 cup masoor dal or red lentils (orig. recipe only called for 1/2 cup... I wanted much more!)
2 cups baby spinach (Ooops! Just realized I forgot to throw this in although I bought it. Will be in the leftovers!)
1 teaspoon garam masala (I may have put more; orig. recipe only asked for .5 tsp)
hot sauce (Sriracha) to taste

Saute the onion in a non-stick pot until it begins to brown. Add panch phoran and cook 1 more minute. Add the ginger and cook another minute. Add water, bouillon, and frozen vegetables. Bring to a boil and add the dal. Turn heat very low and cover loosely. Cook for 15 minutes or until lentils are very tender. Sir in spinach and cook until wilted. Add garam masala and salt (if you must-I didn't and rarely do) and hot sauce to taste. Eat!

This is my photo-sans spinach! Luckily I have leftovers for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment