Saturday, February 5, 2011

B'fast Sammich!

When I was a growing kid my mom's go-to meals, on the off-chance that she was not working until midnight, were some sort of pasta, usually ravioli, or bagel burgers with a can of corn or green beans. She comes from a lovely line of kitchen mavens but she never quite gave herself the time to explore her cooking/baking talents. A few weeks ago I found myself craving a bagel burger. It's been a solid 10 years since I've had one and they are really not that inspiring- throw a veggie burger (Morningstar Grillers as a kid, not vegan) on a toasted onion bagel, add BBQ sauce, swiss cheese and voila. Well, I no longer eat Grillers nor swiss cheese so I doubted my ability to mimic and satisfy my craving. Instead I bought a bagel, which I never have on hand on account of the caloric content, and let it sit for a day until I felt inspired to make use of it. The next morning this was born:
Let me continue by first saying, I wish I hadn't because I have wanted to make/eat one of these nearly every day since its initial creation but let me move onto how it came to be...

I had tofu in the fridge, I had daiya cheddar in the fridge, I had a leftover sliced tomato in the fridge and I had a few pieces of baby spinach. I sliced 3 pieces of tofu from the block and fried them sans oil in a pan. While I let that fry I sliced and toasted the bagel, garlic in this case. When the tofu was to my desired state of crispy I topped the pieces with daiya, turned off the heat and covered the pan for approx. 1 minute until the cheese melted. The bagel popped up, I spread ketchup on one side (because I am addicted to condiments), and then assembled all of the above. Behold a cheesy breakfast sandwich! no fancy sausage necessary! Sooooo easy... and too good. I HAD to share and bestow it onto you so that I may detach myself... if only a little bit.

Until next time... Happy cooking AND eating!
~Bailey

Afterthought: Actually, I have thought of this but just remembered. To make this much healthier in terms of calories, the rest isn't too bad, skip the bagel in exchange for an english muffin or some hearty toast. Now that the hankering is gone I shall practice what I preach next time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment