Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Guacamame and taco salad!

When I heard that Isa was up to another cookbook I immediately made my way to that waiting list and had it shipped out to me the day it dropped. Dedication? I think so. Appetite for Reduction is fun and full of healthy meals! In the past Isa feared away from getting into low-cal/low-fat recipes specifically so I am glad that she's crossed over due to demand. Although "diet" is a word that no longer has room in my vocabulary as a verb I have "diet" enthusiasts to thank for this, I'm sure.

Anyhow, I just had my second round of taco salad this week, as inspired by this book, and I have to say the second was better than the first so here I am to procrastinate and share this yummy discovery with you!

Naturally the first recipe to make my shopping and to-do lists enlisted avocado and cayenne as ingredients. This is a "mock" guacamole and it is a tricky concoction indeed!

Guacamame
4 oz avocado (this is roughly 1/2 a cup; I used 1/2 of a medium hass)
1 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed (I didn't prep ahead and defrosted in the micro although I try not to use it I was impatient! Next time I will thaw ahead!)
1/4 cup water
some dashes of sea salt
juice of 1 lime (I forgot this at the store and I doubt finding limes in Brattleboro is very easy right now! I used lemon instead but I'm sure I'd prefer lime)
1 plum tomato (I didn't use plum; I think medium sized is the key here)
2 tbsp chopped red onion ( I probably used more like 3)
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
cayenne and black pepper to taste

In reference to the tomato, onion, cilantro and peppers I think it is really up to your taste and preference when it comes to guac!

For the mixing Isa requires a food processor. I do not have a food processor so I used my hand blender and it worked out perfectly! First pulse or blend edamame and avocado until well chopped/mixed. Add water, salt, and citrus and blend until smooth. Add remaining ingredients until fully incorporated and a smooth consistency. Taste and season as desired. **Next time I will add a clove of garlic.** This makes more than you'd think! My roommate helped me eat it and it's still been in the fridge since Sunday afternoon. To keep it as leftovers I suggest putting the avo pit in the mix and closely covering it with plastic wrap. Because it has more edamame than avocado it keeps really well!

Fresh Tomato Salsa Dressing (recipe downsized for one person/one salad servingz)
1 large tomato
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 chopped garlic clove
1-1.5 tsp red wine vinegar (I used Bragg's apple cider vinegar and just filled up the cap and dumped it in-worked deliciously)
.5 tsp. cayenne hot sauce ( I just sprinkled cayenne powder- probably the equivalent of a tsp.)
Freshly ground pepper and a sprinkle of sea salt (to taste)

Chop up tomato rather small. Add all of the ingredients and mesh them together with fingers to release and mix up the flavors. Let sit for a minute and then mix it with a taco salad and then top with guacamame!

The taco salad I threw together consisted of chopped romaine, kidney beans, and blue chip crumbs from the bottom of a bag :). Oh and as an afterthought I added some protein by warming up one of these in a pan. Oh, have I mentioned that my house is quite possibly the worst place for photography? Ugh. :(


and the guacamame...


No comments:

Post a Comment