Thursday, January 21, 2010

Frankfurt = Vegan Hell (K, I like dramatic effects...so what?)

1.21.09


So after 20+ hours of travel I finally made it to Frankfurt, Germany in one piece!


In case you weren't informed before my departure, I have decided to embark on this particular Euro-adventure with a theme in mind. Last time I graced this continent w/ my presence (and also the UK) I was 2+ years deep into a quasi-vegan lifestyle sans eggs and milk, unless they were hiding in things like my grandma's baked goods ;), but I ate CHEESE! (it's addictive... and I had yet to admit I had a problem) Eating cheese in Europe is a very tasty thing to do so I conveniently waited to go full-throttle vegan again when I got back from my travels in January of 2008.


It's been 2 years since then! I have made a lifestyle change that I plan on keeping so to go against it for a 5+ week trip away from the convenience of my American lifestyle would be silly. Thus, the theme of this site. I will be writing about anything and maybe everything, if you're lucky, regarding my travels but my focus from place to place will be the pursuit of vegan friendly food in European destinations or in Frankfurt's case, the lack there-of. My hope is that I can provide adequate stories for my friends and family but also perhaps come out of this experience with some friendly tips for fellow world-loving, travel-seeking, vegans!


Lesson of today: Being Vegan in Frankfurt = closer to anorexia

There's a plethora of bakery type take-away cafes in this town that sell bread and pastries, duh, but the only recognizable word, as an English speaker, is that for Ciabatta. Bread by definition is vegan. In France (bread's honorable birthplace, right?) you can not call bread by its name "Pain" if it has anything more than flour, water, and yeast. Unfortunately Ciabatta calls for milk in most recipes.


I've done some research on Happy Cow and Google and found a few promising places. One is a store that is 45 mins away from my current location, by foot, but they only sell snacks, clothing, and supplements (no real meals) according to some reviews. BUT it is ALL vegan so you don't have to worry about translations and questionable ingredients if you venture there! Vegan Store : Höhenstr. 50, Frankfurt


The second place may just be where I experiment if I've got the time! Its located 25 mins walking distance from the hostel I am staying at tonight. It unfortunately closes for about 3 hours in the middle of the day (when I wanted to go) and then re-opens. (OHHHH, Europe with its lunch breaks and siestas! haha) I translated the website and its a bit iffy... it appears they have "lacto vegan" (nonsensical) and vegan menus? A review I read stated that if you ask for vegan they will comply and understand so, should I press my luck?: Naturbar : www.naturbarfrankfurt.de


Here's a sure thing: MAOZ! If you have never had Maoz well, you're missing out! This will surely not be the last time I mention it in this blog. I had no idea a Frankfurt location exists and I just happened to do a more thorough search of options online, as I was writing all of the above and found out that there is one in the train station directly behind where I am sitting! (also the train station pictured above, and the train station I will be using to depart for Prague and the one I used to get from the airport). Its also generally affordable so I guess I wont be going hungry in Frankfurt after all! I would like to say I am eating some vegan inspired traditional German dish but let's be honest before I even left stateside I wasn't too optimistic about this country! Munich will probably prove to be better because it is a larger city.


I havent ingested food since 6 pm yesterday in Charlotte. According to my comp it is 7:35 am in California and therefore 10:35 am in Charlotte soooo its been a good 16 hours if my time change calculations are correct...of which I've been awake for most.

Schnitzel anyone? ;)


"I am vegan" in German: Ich bin Veganer

If you plan on using this phrase in Frankfurt save yourself the hassle of Googling vegan stuff (I've exhausted it for you) and just get thee self to the main train station and eat Maoz and then make your merry way to Berlin or Munich, not because I've been there but because I've heard options may still not be plentiful but at least more accessible!


K, family and friends, who could care less about what I am eating, expect a more thrilling blog next time! Not too shabby for my first and also jet-lagged entry, right Mom? I am leaving Frankfurt tomorrow... basically I only came here because the flight was cheap, cheap! Good place to get my bearings overnight, though. smile


No comments:

Post a Comment